Ads

Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Sayings of Samuel Godfrey George - Declarations of Faith

I have the mind of Christ. I have the vision of Christ. This is what I will choose to believe even if my mind and my eyes deceive me at times. Let my choices and my path be dictated by what I choose to believe. There is a path that seems right, but let that path not be mine. There is a path that only God knows is right. Let that be my path. There is a life that God has prepared for me. Let that be my life. Every other desire no matter how good and legitimate, let it vanish from my life.


Doing what I think is good is not good enough anymore. Doing what is truly good in the eyes of God is what I need to do. My life should be determined by God’s will for me. May I seek God’s will as those who thirst in a dry land seek water.  


It is time for me not to say that I love God. That time is over. It is time for me to prove that I love God. And the only way I can do that is by following God and living according to His teachings.


What is evil? Anything that distracts you from God is evil. Even if the thing is harmless in itself, as long as it draws your attention away from God and denies Him the first place in your heart it is undoubtedly evil.

  
You must stop so that God may start.


Be your own thought police. Say, “This kind of thinking can’t go on, as it militates against what I know about God.” Even if it moves only a fraction off the Godly way, even if it should look harmless and good and desirable, discard it, kick it and demolish it. Consider it dead and buried.


If ever there is a question as to whether Man or God is right, it will most certainly be God for me. I’d rather trust God in His most casual moment than Man in his most earnest.


So what if the world finds my faith laughable? I shall not laugh along with the world.


Every trickle of blessing that comes your way, stop and give thanks. Cease your relentless search for joy, pause and take note of God's act of kindness, though it may be little. Thank God with all your heart. Celebrate the little things, the little strokes of love from God's fingers.


When Christ is in you, all will be well. No matter what the conflict, no matter what the urge, Christ will have His way in you.


To impress someone is the lowest of all joys. But to live to one's full potential in obedience to God, that is the highest joy in this life.


To search for what can be seen normally and what has been seen is the lowest of all desires. But to search for what cannot be seen normally and what has not been seen is the highest of all desires. The man who wishes to rise above the earthly mould must choose to follow the highest desire.


When a person shows confidence in God, no fear can come near. For God is power, and those who believe in Him have power, feel power and wield power.

Service to God lies in service to people. To serve people you should love them or at least like them. It is not easy to like or love people. Some are unlikeable and unlovable. Many are self-involved and ungrateful. Only a very few may respond to the service. To serve people one must serve without expectation with the love of God that endures rejection.


There's no point persuading the atheist. He is spiritually ignorant and may remain so for the rest of his life. In fact it is pointless to persuade anyone to believe in God through human effort. The only effective persuasion comes from above when deep calls to deep. Such depth no feeble human art can achieve.
  
Do you want to progress spiritually? Then you must believe even if your belief appears ridiculous. You must wait though waiting seems hopeless. You must endure even if endurance means your ultimate doom. You should walk into the fire daring death yet hopeful of triumph.


God rewarded me well when I was at my worst. Can it therefore be said that he shall reward me more when I improve my behaviour? And if he rewarded me more when I behaved better, then he surely rewarded me for my improved behaviour. I know that God is gracious, and if he rewarded a man for his behaviour then that reward cannot be gracious as it is merited. Thus I conclude that a perfectly gracious God cannot and should not base his reward on behaviour. Needless to say my conclusion is based on human wisdom, which is not as wise as God's foolishness.


I'm so happy Lord. I'm so happy that I can love others. It was you who put that love in me. It was you who gave me the power to convey it.


If ever there is a question as to whether Man or God is right, it will most certainly be God for me. I’d rather trust God in His most casual moment than Man in his most earnest.


I have presented a faith that is real, at least to me. My faith is a product of childhood credulity, juvenile disbelief, adult experience and mature belief. My final belief is not without an element of doubt, yet it is more belief than unbelief.


Wherever I walk, whatever I do my God goes with me. I may stray away, but he always leads me back to the path that he has chosen for me. His rod keeps me going in this way. Thank you Lord for persisting with me. If not for your determination I will have surely lost my way.


I have nothing. I own nothing. I come to you as nothing. This life is yours. This voice is yours. This body is yours. I have treated your salvation with little respect. I have treated you with little respect. Forgive me today. I count on your mercy. I deserve no mercy. But I count on your grace. Have mercy on this nothing. Listen to the cry of this nothing. And put an end to my folly. Amen.


Mighty is the God I serve. Limitless is his ability to calm my fears and wipe away my tears. I will believe in him today.


Today give me the strength to devote myself to what is right. Let me focus on what is true and noble. Let me dwell on the pure and lovely beauty of God and seek His admirable ways. Stay with me Lord. In your strength alone I can achieve this.



God has taught me this. I must be courteous to all people. I must be kind especially to those who are unkind to me. I must never lose my temper. If I cannot control my feelings, I will tap into God's strength. I may not always succeed. But I will never stop trying. I must be kind whatever the cost. I must convey the love of Christ, for I belong to Him.

The first Christian service I should do is to be courteous and kind to all people. I should smile and speak encouraging words to everyone, even to those who are difficult to deal with. I ask everyone at my home to practise this. It is not easy for people to show love and gentleness. This I have painfully discovered. However we should never stop trying. The first thing Christ-like to me is a spirit of kindness that endures all challenges.


Till now I have wanted my life to go a certain way, my way. I imagined my life taking a certain turn. I saw myself achieving certain goals and living a certain kind of life. Now I am going to lay this down to rest. I have been struggling with God too long. Now I shall let Him lead me. I shall let Him have His way. I shall ask Him to do His will, whatever that may be. I shall take what He has to offer and live with it.


It is God who empowers and guides me. What I do is a result of his empowerment and guidance. What results from what I do is the fulfilment of God's purpose for me, and though I may have carried out a certain sequence of actions in the world, the origin of those actions is in God who alone determines their nature and purpose.


Don't beat your head about the mistake that you made today. Let this not ruin your hope in God, who has paid for all your mistakes. So let not your latest error pull you away from the love of your Lord who understands your vulnerability. Rest in His undying love. But continue to hope and strive towards betterment, for the Lord is your strength, and the closer you draw to Him, the greater will be your strength.














No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...