Ads

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Recent Thoughts On A Christian Meeting - Sayings of SGG

If heaven was a place like the Christian meeting that I attended today, it will be a great strain on my eardrums. I hope there is a place for calm and gentle worship in heaven.

Today I was in a shouting Christian meeting. Everyone was shouting. Even one of the singers confessed that he was about to shout a song. People were clapping with great energy. I sat there without clapping enduring the onslaught on my eardrums. Today it all seemed silly, especially my presence in such a place. Even a Muslim that sat next to me seemed unimpressed by the excessive shouting. The kind of worship that I do seemed totally out of place in this extreme Christian environment. Given the mass appeal of this hysterical kind of worship I can understand why my sober approach has so little appeal.

To love people is a hard requirement. I find many people unlovable. Many that I have met are ungrateful and unfeeling. Today I discovered how odd I felt at a Christian meeting. I am not drawn to Christians. In fact I am not drawn to any person with a religious affiliation. Religion still does not seem a terribly enlightened activity. Given these natural disinclinations I wonder why I am involved in the work of Jesus Christ. It is not something I should do, yet I do it. Loving people is something I should do, yet I am not doing it. Still it is not a goal that I am willing to discard any time soon.

Once I was drawn to Benny Hinn, the evangelist. These days I am not familiar with his work. However I decided to attend a Christian meeting that he was expected to speak at in India today. I took my elderly aunt with me in the expectation of something wonderful. Sadly the place where the meeting was held was so poorly located and the gathering itself was treated to some unpleasantly loud music which seemed to be generally appreciated. The last disappointment was that Benny Hinn was not even there. I was later informed that he had cancelled his visit. It seemed like a total waste of time and money and a great strain on my elderly aunt.
 

No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...