Ads

Wednesday 8 October 2014

When An Unbeliever Prayed

I was born to a Hindu and to a Christian. My father never forced me to believe in any God. Nor did he guide me to any God. But when I was young I had a certain dream. In this dream I saw a raging fire in the sky. And I cried out to this fire, "I will serve you!" I assumed that it was God. The very next day I said to my father that I wanted to see Jesus. And I was quite mad about seeing Him that day.  My father said, "Jesus will appear to you someday, perhaps not today."

And then, as I grew up, I forgot about the Lord Jesus Christ. And God was not even on my mind. When I went to college I was godless. I didn't believe in any god. In fact I made fun of God. My atheist friend and I together made fun of God, and we made fun of everyone who believed in God. And we made fun of the Jesuits who ran the college. And we asked them difficult questions that they couldn't answer. Those were my days as an unbeliever.

When I came to this city in 1999, I was still an unbeliever. And I hardly spoke about Jesus. And if I did speak about Him, it was certainly not complimentary. Something happened in the year 2000. I suddenly felt an urge to pray to God. Maybe it was because I was watching a lot of Christian television at that time. I watched many people speak about Christ. I watched a certain person called Benny Hinn. And I saw his miracle crusades. And he made me laugh at first. And then the laughter dwindled into a smile. And the smile dwindled into a thought. And I thought, "Could this Christ be real? Are these miracles real?" That was when I started to pray. I prayed casually at first. I didn't expect anything to happen when I prayed. But I received answers to my prayers, and that shocked me. That certainly increased my faith, which was just beginning to appear.

- Samuel Godfrey George

No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...