Ads

Saturday 11 October 2014

Why I Am A Christian

Someone asked me once, "Why are you not a Muslim?" Why am I not a Muslim? The answer is simple. I wasn't born into a Muslim family. I wasn't raised in a Muslim environment. So I have no knowledge of the Muslim faith. There is another answer. I discovered the Lord Jesus Christ.

I was raised a Christian. When I was a child I went to church. I participated in Christian services. But I did not know Christ then. Later on, when I became a young man, I abandoned faith. I found it belittling. I thought it was fit only for fools. I thought faith was tailor-made for fools. I did not believe in any god. I did not believe in any faith. I chose to believe that God does not exist. I chose to believe that it is pointless to believe.

Later I discovered God. It happened casually. It was not premeditated. It happened suddenly. There were certain factors that contributed to my return to God. Christian television is one factor. I started to watch missionaries and healers. And I started to ask the question, "Could this God be real?" That's how it all began.

And then I read the Bible. I was stunned to note that the Bible was a most interesting book, and that the Old Testament was a shattering tale of a failure of an immense love. There was a great lover, and his love was rejected. The experience was overwhelming. Thus I was drawn to the Christian faith when I read the Bible. I was drawn to Christ. Above all, I was drawn to God the Father. And that's how it came into being - my Christian faith and my Christianness.

Years later I started a work for God. How did this happen? I got tired of what I was doing in the world. I was not impressed. I was not inspired. And then I was not required. And when I was not required, I stepped out and walked out into the area of faith. I became a missionary for Christ. I became a minister. I became a pastor. I became a shepherd.

So that's the reason why I am a Christian. That's also the reason why I am not a Muslim and why I am not a Hindu or a Buddhist. I have little knowledge of other religions. And I don't want to know about them. Because Christianity and Christ are enough for me.  Christianity gives me sufficient information regarding myself and regarding the world. I don't need to seek information elsewhere. At times I do read about other faiths. I even read about atheism. I do read other explanations of life. However Christianity will do for me. Christ will do for me.

- Samuel Godfrey George

No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...