Ads

Wednesday 23 July 2014

From The Abyss Of Defeat - Psalm 25 - Psalms Now

I am reaching for You again, O God.
From the abyss of defeat,
the suffocating shame of failure.
I seek Your mercy and Your help.
Enable me to see something of Your will for my life.
Break through this stifling darkness
with some direction, some meaning,
some purpose for my existence.
You are my God; You have promised me salvation.
How long must I wait for Your response?

Have You given me up, O Lord?
Are You remembering the uncountable times
that I have failed You?
Then I am remembering Your steadfast love,
that Your concern is for those
who fail and humble,
that You seek to restore those
who humbly reach out for You.

I know well that those
who walk in Your course for their lives
find contentment and fulfillment.
I have tried to do so, and again I have failed.
I am aware that those who serve You
will know true security and abundance.
I have sought this only to be snared
and incapacitated by my own weaknesses.

O God, have mercy!
I know my guilt is great.
Look upon my emptiness and loneliness,
consider kindly my afflictions and despair,
remember the perpetual presence
of my human weaknesses and instincts.
Regard once more the pernicious and violent forces
that oppose Your will in my life.
Forgive me my many sins,
and restore me to Yourself.
Watch over me and hold on to me, O God,
lest I fall again.

- Leslie Brandt, "Psalms Now"

No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...