Ads

Friday 18 July 2014

Sometimes It Just Isn't Worth It - Psalm 143 - Psalms Now

"It was another one of those days, Lord,
when I should have stayed in bed.
Everything I attempted to do was destined for failure.
I honestly tried to show concern for my fellowman
but got cold shoulders in return.
I tried to speak words of comfort,
and they were thrown right back into my teeth.
I wanted to do well at my job,
but it seemed I just got in everybody's way.

Sometimes it just isn't worth it, Lord,
and I wonder if it isn't time to fold up
and shove off in search of greener pastures.
I want desperately to be a success,
to add points to my score,
or to get commended now and then.
But this didn't happen today, Lord,
and it happens so seldom, I wonder what's wrong.
Am I following Your course for my life,
or am I just muddling through without design?

I need You, God, more now than ever before.
And if I don't get some special lift,
some sense of Your support and encouragement,
I will go right down the tube.

Come closer, O Lord, that I may hear again
Your voice of comfort and concern."

- Leslie Brandt, "Psalms Now"

No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...