Ads

Thursday 17 July 2014

Have Mercy On A Selfish And Self-Centred Creature - Psalm 101 - Leslie Brandt

"O God, I love those hymns
that speak of loyalty and justice,
those prayers for the deprived and oppressed -
even while I deprive and oppress my fellowmen
through my apathy and egocentricity.


I embrace the old creeds that tell of Your love
and the commandments that instruct me
to reflect that love to others -
even while I turn inward
and allow bigotry and prejudice
to color my relationships
to those outside my private little club.


I treasure those promises I made in the sanctuary,
those vows and solemn pledges before the altar -
even while I flirt with this world's gods
and bow before man-made shrines.


I decry the distortions of our world,
the poverty and pain and the indignities
suffered by multitudes
of this world's citizens -
even while I stand aloof
and wait for man's sorry needs
to be met by others
and brazenly oppose those remedies
which may result in personal deprivation.


I avoid the sinner
and belittle the proud
and stand clear of cheaters and liars
and choose as my companions
the qualified
and respected
members of my society.
And all the while I claim to be Your son
and to walk in Your ways.

Have mercy upon me, O God,
for I am a selfish and self-centered creature!"


- Leslie Brandt, "Psalms Now"   

 

No comments:

How do we worship God?

Many people go to church to worship God. Denominational differences in Christianity may involve different styles of worship. But what ...